In The Gravity of Daisy Gray, Daisy loves her honeybees. What do you say to people who don’t like bees?
Bee stings hurt, so I understand why someone might be nervous around them. But I’d ask them to please give honeybees a chance. Look for beekeeping classes in your area. When you put on a protective suit and view them up close, you see what amazing creatures they are. Plus, we need them—one third of our food comes from pollinated plants.
Check out these other cool honeybee facts:
- Honeybees never sleep!
- For every pound of honey, bees flew 55,000 miles and visited 2 million flowers.
- Honeybees can recognize human faces.
- Honeybees dance to tell each other where the best flowers are.
- Honeybees have 2 stomachs, 5 eyes, and a brain the size of a sesame seed.
- Honey is antibacterial, it never spoils, and it’s the only food that contains everything a person needs to survive.